Your home is a feeling not a place. Choosing the perfect color palette for your favorite place in the world doesn’t have to be difficult.
I know it can intimidating picking from millions of colors and then hundreds of different shades of the same color when choosing paint for your home. Deciding on the perfect wall color can really set the tone and feeling of your room. To help you when looking for a color combination that will work I have a few tips.
1. Go look at your closet~look at the colors of clothes you usually buy and wear. This is a good indication of colors that you are naturally drawn to and make you feel good.
2. Head to the fabric store and grab a few samples of some of your favorite patterns. Use this to pull colors that you like. You can even have Home Depot or Lowes scan the color you like and custom create a paint for you:) I’ve done this before and they do a great job of color matching.
3. Purchase your wall art pieces you want to use in the room for inspiration. You can even print them, instead of purchasing right away, and tape them to your wall. Stare at them for a few days. Purchase a few color samples and paint small areas around the art work. This always helps me. Bonus..paint is 100% returnable! Just don’t use the whole can
4. Make your big purchases before choosing a paint color. Do you want a white couch, a red accent chair? Maybe you want a green china cabinet or a walnut kitchen table. I always recommend keeping your big items neutral and adding color with fabrics like pillows, curtains and rugs. These are less expensive to change and can make a huge difference. It’s the easiest way to make your room feel comfortable, inviting or even new. It can create a whole new look in seconds.
5. Use the color wheel to choose complimenting colors.
6. Last but definitely not least. Check out this awesome website. They offer tons of color combinations and they are sorted by theme, which is my favorite way to search the site. You can also change the values of the colors to add pigment and take it away. They will offer you colors that easily match your favorite.
I think the most beautiful color combinations are found in nature. The next time you are in an inspiration funk take a walk or go for a drive. Visit the beach, the park, a flower shop or a vegetable and fruit market. The stunning colors combinations will surprise you and hopefully give you the creative encouragement to find the perfect colors for your home.
Aren’t all of these color combinations gorgeous?!! My personal favorite is the beach photograph. What’s your favorite?
Do you have a no-fail plan for choosing colors? If so please share with us, we would love to hear your ideas. And remember, your home is a feeling not a place. Don’t rush perfection:)